I know that "en" can be the "des céréales" in "Je mange des céréales" "J'en mange" and I know it can stand for "one book" in "Je vais acheter un livre" "Je vais en acheter un". But I find it kind of weird in:

Personne n'a écrit un livre sur comment en lire.

(Nobody has written a book on how to read them [books])

It just doesn't look like it fits, because it's in a noun phrase. It's referring to the "livre", which I find very strange, since it feels like it's not referring to books, and instead something else. Does this mean I could say:

J'ai fait un film sur comment en faire

(I made a film on how to write films) (Sorry for similar example)

• Is there by chance any context? – Stéphane Gimenez Jun 17 '16 at 14:11
  • I basically found it on reverso context while looking up "personne ne" – Oboark Jun 17 '16 at 14:14
  • I think the translation would be more precise like this: "Personne n'a écrit un livre sur comment en lire." -> "Nobody has written a book on how to read one" (rather than them). – Phil Jun 17 '16 at 14:36
  • Hmm yeah, but I find it strange how it's mentioning the noun when it's part of a noun phrase. – Oboark Jun 17 '16 at 14:37
  • To be factual, there are books that teach how to read (fast). – Kii Jun 17 '16 at 15:24

You have correctly identified the usage of en in your cereal example, like in the following:

J'ai acheté des céréales car je mange beaucoup de céréales

becomes

J'ai acheté des céréales car j'en mange beaucoup

The sentence you're asking about follows a very similar logic:

Personne n'a écrit un livre sur comment lire un livre

becomes

Personne n'a écrit un livre sur comment en lire.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.