The context is telling someone with whom you have a rendez-vous where you are exactly. My try:

Je me tiens en face/à côté de la piscine municipale.

or

Tu me trouveras en face/à côté de la piscine municipale

"Je me tiens/trouve en face/devant..." is alright. – MorganFR Jun 21 '16 at 9:21
  • maybe this question can help french.stackexchange.com/questions/19329/… – tlombart Jun 21 '16 at 9:30
  • merci , c'est très utile ce lien mais le contexte est après qu'on ait fixé un RDV pour dire à quelqu'un qui est déjà parti (en voiture par eg) où on est. @morganFr thanks a lot – Thomson1 Jun 21 '16 at 9:36
    You could use the very simple "je suis en face de la piscine municipale" or if you are waiting for the person to come "je t'attends en face de la piscine municipale" – JeanBlaire Jun 21 '16 at 9:45

In French, you can simply tell

Je suis devant le/la/les...

If you want to specifiy you are standing (and not sitting), there are not really ways to say it apart from saying it as another information

Je suis devant le/la/les... . Je suis debout.

In general, people prefer to give other informations, such as the one you gave here, about environment

Je suis devant la/le/les [location clue] à côté de [location clue]

Your second sentence is not correct. You can not use infinitive verb just after Tu me trouveras.

There are multiple options you can use :

Je suis en face de la piscine municipale. (I am in front of the swiming pool)

Je me tiens face à la piscine municipale. (I face the swiming pool)

Je me trouve devant la piscine municipale. (I stand in front of the swiming pool)

Tu me trouveras à côté de la piscine municipale. (You'll find me next to the swimming pool)

In this context, you can use either Je suis, Je me tiens, Je me trouve and Tu me trouveras as you like.

I tend to discourage the use of state verbs (for example Être / je suis) as they often lead to ambiguities.

• Could you elaborate on the ambiguities faced in this particular instance, although sometimes it may be confusion with a passive voice, etc. – Mason H. Hatfield Jun 22 '16 at 2:04
  • The same goes for english language, see this wikipedia entry : en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-Prime – Kii Jun 22 '16 at 7:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.