I'd like to know how to translate the word "pourtant" in English.

For instance,

1. Mon dossier a été refusé. Pourtant j'avais tout fait pour être accepté à l'université de Princeton.
  2. Je ne comprends pas... Il y a plein de monde à la piscine, mais pourtant le parking est vide.
  3. J'ai pensé que le fromage bleu n'était pas bon en bouche dû à son odeur désagréable. Pourtant quand j'en ai mangé une bouché, j'ai trouvé ce fromage excellent.

How does this work?

• Asking how to translate a word into English is not a question about the French Language. A question you could ask here is " Am I using the word pourtant properly in those sentences?" If your question is about how to say pourtant in English then you're in the wrong palce. – Laure SO - Écoute-nous Jul 16 '16 at 13:11

Pourtant introduces a contradiction, it's equivalent to "yet" or "however."

• So we could say "Yet I had everything to be accepted to Princeton University. ", am I right? – Law Jul 14 '16 at 0:47
  • Yes, it implies "However, I had done everything (possible) in order to be accepted at Princeton". – Anupama G Jul 14 '16 at 8:25

Your third sentence is the best example of how the word works.

J'ai pensé que le fromage bleu n'était pas bon en bouche dû à son odeur désagréable. Pourtant quand j'en ai mangé une bouchée, j'ai trouvé ce fromage excellent.

I had thought that blue cheese wouldn't taste good due to its disagreeable smell. However, when I had a bite, I found it great.

Similarly,

Je ne comprends pas... Il y a plein de monde à la piscine, mais pourtant le stationnement est vide.

I don't understand - the pool is full of people, however, the parking space is empty!

the first sentence can be used like "even"

..., even though I had made all to be accepted

the second and third can be used like "however"

..., however the parking....

..., however when I tasted...

pourtant =~ cependant

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.