Paw-Paw est un ancien combattant, ______ Tex est très fier.

In the blank in the sentence above,I put dont as my answer. But apparently, the correct answer was ce dont. However, this doesn't make sense to me because the sentence is translated as:

Paw-Paw is a veteran, of whom Tex is very proud.

And "ce dont" would change the meaning of the sentence to:

Paw-Paw is a veteran, of what Tex is very proud.

which is wrong.

Am I mistaken or is there something I'm missing here?

• "of what" is wrong, but "ce dont" translates to "of which", which is'nt. – DaWaaaaghBabal Jul 14 '16 at 21:13

You can use both, as both are correct. Tex can be proud of Paw-Paw or of the fact that Paw-Paw is a veteran in french as well as in english.

Now, the comma make me think the probability of the second choice is more likely because it separate "The fact that Paw-Paw is a veteran" from the second part of the sentence. But then one could ask : Why is Tex proud of the accomplishement of someone else ? Honestly, these are considerations outside of the understanding of "ce dont" and "dont", and you'd need to have some context or the will to split hairs to settle this.

Well you are right everywhere, nothing wrong ! Except that the meaning of the sentence is supposed to be

Paw-Paw is a veteran, of what Tex is very proud

"dont" actually refers to the fact that Paw-Paw is a veteran; but I agree there is an ambiguity.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.