I’m not sure how the following sentences sound, compared to straightforwardly asking someone to do something with "can you, will you, please" etc.

Je vais aller à la gare à pied.

1. À moins que vous ne me conduisiez là ?

2. À moins que vous n'ayez l'amabilité de me conduire là ?

3. À moins que vous ne me conduisiez là...

4. À moins que vous n'ayez l'amabilité de me conduire là...

• à moins que + subjonctif = sauf si + indicatif. C'est factuel. Ce n'est pas une tournure particulière pour demander, mais l'interlocuteur peut comprendre ça. – guillaume girod-vitouchkina Jul 16 '16 at 19:55

First, ne me conduisiez là is not idiomatic, that should be ne m'y conduisiez.

With à moins que vous me conduisiez là, you are somewhat rude because it is very clear you are asking but you are missing a formule de politesse. I wouldn't say that unless I'm familiar with the listener.

You are more polite with adding vous n'ayez l'amabilité but depending on the context, it might be "too formal".

This is how I would ask using à moins que :

• Je vais aller à la gare à pied à moins que vous puissiez m'y conduire. (formal)

• Je vais aller à la gare à pied à moins que ça ne vous/te dérange pas de m'y conduire. (informal)

• To keep the same sentence and not ask directly your interlocutor, you could replace "vous puissiez" by "quelqu'un puisse". This way, your need is known and if your interlocutor is in the mood to drive you, (s)he will. If (s)he's not, then (s)he won't feel obligated. – Kii Jul 20 '16 at 9:24
  • @Kii Yes, that's a possibility. However, if the only potential person that might be in a position to drive you to the station is your interlocutor, that's still not that subtle. – jlliagre Jul 20 '16 at 10:06

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.