5

Je ne te connaissais pas ce penchant pour l'art.

I didn’t know you had a passion for art.

I’ve just heard a native French speaker say this sentence. Given how the English translation goes, I’m tempted to put in some word like "avoir" between "connaissais" and "ce penchant". Is it wrong to change the sentence construction given above?


It would be easy to understand if the sentence took the more straightforward form:

Je ne connaissais pas ton penchant pour l'art.


What also has me puzzled is, how would you change the sentence if you swapped "te" with a woman’s name "Sherry"? Should I say:

Je ne connaissais pas Sherry ce penchant pour l'art.

8

Le seul emploi intransitif de connaitre que je connaisse est dans l'expression « connaitre quelque chose à quelqu'un » qui veut dire qu'on sait que ce quelqu'un a quelque chose.
Le complément d'objet direct de connaitre est le penchant. Donc on peut dire :

Je ne te connaissais pas ce penchant pour l'art.

On peut introduire le verbe avoir effectivement. On peut en quelque sorte dire que le penchant « est à » (dans le sens de « appartient à ») te. Et donc le verbe avoir sert de lien entre te et le penchant. Mais celui qui connait reste je. On va donc avoir une phrase constituée de deux propositions :

1- Je ne connaissais pas un fait sur toi
2- tu as un penchant pour l'art

Je ne savais pas que tu avais ce penchant pour l'art.

Te peut être remplacé par n'importe quel nom de personne :

Je ne savais pas que Sherry avait ce penchant pour l'art.

Si on garde l'expression « connaitre quelque chose à quelqu'un » en utilisant le nom de la personne (et non un pronom personnel) on introduit la personne avec la préposition à :

Je ne connaissais pas ce penchant pour l'art à Sherry.
Je ne connaissais pas à Sherry ce penchant pour l'art.

À voir en complément sur French Language : When to use connaître and when to use savoir?

  • 1
    To Laure: @Laure So if I stick to using "connaître", is it correct to say "Je ne connaissais pas ce penchant pour l'art à Sherry?" or "Je ne connaissais pas ce penchant pour l'art chez Sherry?" Merci. – Con-gras-tue-les-chiens Jul 30 '16 at 13:42
  • @LUNA My answer was lacking and I was rewriting (rather than editing!) my answer to insist more on this peculiar construction. Your grasp of the language is excellent, I feel you can cope with answers in French. I'll write in English if you ask of course. – Laure SO - Écoute-nous Jul 30 '16 at 14:01
  • @LUNA I would not use chez but I cannot say definitely say it would be not be used. – Laure SO - Écoute-nous Jul 30 '16 at 14:05
  • To Laure: @Laure {chez} Oh, I see. I think I can now smoothly grasp 95% of the explanations written in French, and as for the remaining 5%, I can always consult dictionaries and such, so I now feel completely confortable with the reading aspect of French. My speaking/writing skills still have a lot of catching up to do, though! – Con-gras-tue-les-chiens Jul 30 '16 at 14:37
  • We are in the saaaame boat LUNA. Same boat. – temporary_user_name Jul 30 '16 at 17:21

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.