À bientôt. Un jour, je ferai peut-être en sorte qu'on se rencontre vraiment par hasard.

The phrase "faire en sorte que" conveys the idea that you intentionally see to it that something definitely happens, correct? The use of "par hasard", on the other hand, indicates that their next encounter is purely coincidetal – something that happens by chance.

Making sure that a chance encounter will definitely happen? These two ideas do not seem to mix. Is this apparent contradiction meant to be ironic?

• Where did you get this sentence from? I can give ou a piece of answer, but it can be off-topic without some context. – Charly Aug 4 '16 at 11:45
  • I don't know if it's ironic, but it's definitely a poetic usage, you understood well the passage, it's supposed to contrast these two different meanings. That's how most of poetry (in the large sense) gimmicks work. – P. O. Aug 4 '16 at 11:50
  • To @Charly: This is an excerpt of a journal entry, casully written. Their first chance meeting was fixed, so to speak. Contrary to that... This is where the sentence comes in. – Con-gras-tue-les-chiens Aug 4 '16 at 11:56

Cette contradiction est un procédé rhétorique appelé antilogie, la plupart du temps utilisé pour produire un effet comique ou poétique.

Such a contraction is a rhetoric formula called antilogy, usually used to create a comic or poetic effect.

| improve this answer | |

You're right about everything so yes, I suppose it's ironic. Maybe it means 'One day I'll take the decision to never see you again so if we meet in the future, it will be by chance'.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.