La mauvaise herbe chasse la bonne

Can someone explain this expression in English? I searched online, but could not find an answer. I hope to find better luck here!

closed as off-topic by Laure, user3177, RomainValeri, Jylo, Toto Aug 28 '16 at 22:03

• This question does not appear to be about French language within the scope defined in the help center.
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

I'm voting to close this question as off-topic on French Language "French Language is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language." Translations into English are definitely off-topic. This question belongs to ELL as long as you don't ask them for a translation. Nevertheless we do discuss discussions on the chat. – Laure Aug 26 '16 at 16:37
  • Is this a community open to anyone with an interest in French, or a tight knit club with highbrow pretenses: create your own private forum, then! In any case, how is my question not a finer point of the French language?! – Erwann Aug 26 '16 at 16:43
    I fail to see the interest in the French Language in this question that asking for a translation into English. It might be a good idea you read the Help Centre. What topics can I ask about here?. And by the way Stack Exchanges sites are not forums. – Laure Aug 26 '16 at 16:48
    I'm not imposing anything on anyone, I only very politely suggested you read the Help Centre. – Laure Aug 26 '16 at 16:56
    @Erwann You get the point, indeed, it's all about the manner to ask and the goal. If you are asking for a translation, this is not the right place. Here, we mostly explain "why" and "how"... The result is not important... Then, Laure is not forcing anything, she only informs you about the rules of this place, not her rules. So if you don't agree with these, you should first think to adapt yourself before asking the website to adapt to you... the "help => meta" section is there to discuss about the rules, where your point of view would be welcome and we would discuss about it with pleasure – Random Aug 27 '16 at 12:09

Weed takes over herb ^^

It means the bad things/persons tend to replace the good ones.

• Thanks, but this is an attempt at a literal translation. There must exist an English idiom with a similar meaning. Also, I don't know what ^^ means. – Erwann Aug 26 '16 at 16:34
    This is a site about the French Language and answers should discuss a point of French Language. – Laure Aug 26 '16 at 16:39
    @Erwann : I don't know the corresponding English idom but I'm curious. ^^ is a smiley, like ^_^. You can edit your question instead of commenting to rephrase your question. – Stéphane Aug 26 '16 at 17:35
    Related: "bad money drives out good". – Erwann Aug 26 '16 at 20:53
    @Erwann As Stephane says, if you are not getting the answer you wish, you may edit your question to make your desire clear enough, so we can help you. That being said, you should add what you understand from this sentence, why you are asking this (homework, writing a document, personnal curiosity...), and what you are expecting (it seems you are loking for an english idiom ? this is not in your question...) – Random Aug 27 '16 at 12:14

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.