I am trying to figure out how to say "I don't know what I would do" in French. But, I have been getting two different answers as to how to say "I would do". I read that you're supposed to use the conditionnel mood when trying to express something like this. However, someone else told me that you're supposed to say "je voudrais faire" instead of "je ferais".

Je ferais = I would do

Je voudrais faire = I would like to do

Je ne sais pas ce que je ferais si mon chat tombait malade.

I don't know what I would do if my cat got sick.

It's very simple. In this case, the would do, a conditional in English is also the conditional in French.

Otherwise, /I would like to go up to Paris for the day/ would be: J'aimerais aller à Paris pour la journée or Je voudrais aller à Paris pour la journée.

Je ferais is when you will do something, and je voudrais faire is when you want to do something else.

Welcome to French Language Alex. Your answer is not correct. Je ferais is the conditional tense to be used when expressing what would happen. Not to be confused with je ferai, future tense to express what will happen. Hope to see you again on French Language. – Laure Sep 11 '16 at 13:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.