I have only studied French for a few weeks. I am writing a few sentences about my sister. Would you understand what I want to relay and does it make sense or is there some other way (better way) to formulate the sentence?

On her free time she likes skiing, travelling and cars which are fast.

Sur son temps libre, elle adore skier, voyager et conduire des voiture rapides.

• I have the same problem in english than in french, "fast cars" is not a verb, whereas "ski and travel" are. I think the problem comes from you enumeration, which should be "to ski, to travel, and fast cars", otherwise, we read "to (ski + travel + fast cars)" where "to" is implied in every term... – Random Sep 26 '16 at 9:32
  • "[Durant/Pendant/Lors de/Sur] son temps libre" is the closest translation I can think of. "À ses heures perdues" could also fit. – Aaron Sep 26 '16 at 9:42
  • What about: "...faire du voyage et conduire des voiture rapides"? – Eva Sep 26 '16 at 9:46
  • I tried to explain in an answer, which is my very first here on French SE. Welcome here ! :) – Yassine Badache Sep 26 '16 at 9:47
    @Random. The English sentence is botched because I start with Swedish, use English to communicate with you to be able to learn French. thanks for pointing that out. :) – Eva Sep 26 '16 at 10:00

There is a slight difference in your sentence between what you mean and what you write. Unfortunately, this is an important one. When you say:

On her free time she likes to ski, travel and fast cars.

We can translate that, literraly, in:

Pendant son temps libre elle aime skier, voyager, et les voitures rapides.

Which translate back in English to:

On her free time she likes skiing, travelling and cars which are fast.

In French, a lot of verbs can be used without particles. For example, "faire du ski" refers as "skier", while "faire du voyager" refers as "voyager". Fast is not a verb in French, not as intended here (I guess), but an adjective, used to describe something. A fast car is a car which is fast.

In English (thanks @Aaron), fast as a verb means "to not eat for a certain period of time", and refers in French as "Jeûner". (Ramadan, for example).

(I feel you, when learning english earlier I had a rough time figuring out "a red car", which is "une voiture rouge" (a car red) in French).

If you want to say she likes driving fast cars during her free time, you could say:

In her free time she likes skiing, travelling, and driving fast cars.

Which translates to:

[Pendant / Durant / Lors de] son temps libre, elle adore skier, voyager, et conduire des voitures rapides.

• I feel "faire du voyage" very strange, don't you ? Also, what do you mean by "I feel you" ? – Random Sep 26 '16 at 9:49
    "Faire du voyage" was OP's translation. And by "I feel you", I mean I'm understanding what she feels, struggling about adjectives. I thought it was an english expression, heard it a couple of times. – Yassine Badache Sep 26 '16 at 9:51
  • Ah ? I've never heard it this way, but if you do, I believe you ! :) – Random Sep 26 '16 at 9:53
    Note that while "fast" indeed can be a verb in English, it does not have anything to do with speed : it translates to "jeûner". Either the verb was missing from the original sentence, or it was meant to be understood as an adjective (i.e. "On her free time she likes [...] fast cars"), which is awkward too. – Aaron Sep 26 '16 at 9:55
    +1 primarily for your good answer to the actual question but also for noting in the last English translation that "IN her free/spare time" (especially at the beginning of a sentence) is much more idiomatic than "ON her free/spare time.".... Re "I feel you," although it's certainly used just as you have used it (to express understanding sympathy/empathy), "I feel your pain" or "I hear you" are probably used more often to express that sentiment. – Papa Poule Sep 26 '16 at 13:36

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.