How would I say "When are we meeting?" in the context of asking a friend who I am planning to see e.g. tonight.

This should be really easy but I can't seem to find a way that sounds 'French'.

I tried things like:

• Quand nous nous rencontrerons?
  • Quand nous réunirons-nous?

A natural way to say it could be:

Quand est-ce qu'on se retrouve?

This is more informal but probably suited to the context if you're asking this to a friend.

• merci beaucoup! – Dahlai Oct 13 '16 at 14:32
    This is not that informal. An informal version would be "On se retrouve quand?" Of course there is more formal, as in "Quand se retrouve-t-on?", but none ever says that. – MorganFR Oct 13 '16 at 15:10

Even more informally than Dahlai's suggestions :

On se revoit quand ?

... sounds more living, native (spoken) French to me.

even "On se voit quand ?" – jlliagre Oct 13 '16 at 16:06
  • Indeed, or «Quand est-ce qu'on se voit ?», or else «Quand se (re)voit-on?». It appears the key to making this "sound French", as the original question put it, is in the choice of the verb "se voir" : to meet (or "se revoir" : meet again) and also the "indefinite pronoun" : «on» rather than «nous». – Le Frog Oct 13 '16 at 16:35
  • "se retrouver" doesn't sound like spoken French. It can be used for example if you are texting: "On se retrouve à 10h ?" but becomes weird when spoken. – Anne Aunyme Oct 14 '16 at 14:51

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.