"Eye floaters" is a generic term used to describe the specks or squiggly lines that you may see swimming across your line of sight when you move your eye quickly up, down or to the side, especially while looking at a blank, light background or up at the sky.

"Muscae volitantes" is how it is called in medical terms. I wonder if « les flotteurs d'œil » (albeit too literal) is the French equivalent that native speakers can easily associate with this medical condition?

I'm looking for a layman's term that does not elicit the « Qu'est-ce que c'est que ça ? » response.


J'appelle ça des « mouches volantes » quand j'en parle avec mon ophtalmologiste. C'est aussi le terme employé sur ophtalmissimo. Mais il semblerait que le terme propre non scientifique soit « corps flottants du vitré », et scientifique « Myodésopsie ». L'article  Floater de wikipedia renvoie à Myodésopsie mais je ne connaissais pas le terme avant cette minute et je doute qu'il soit connu de beaucoup de gens. Donc restons sur « mouches volantes » pour floaters.

D'ailleurs le latin Muscae volitantes veut dire « mouches volantes ».

  • 1
    An interesting similarity. We say "moustiques volants {飛蚊症}" in Japanese. Oct 20 '16 at 11:05

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.