Problem

I am trying to translate the following paragraph. My problem is with the section that is highlighted in bold.

Entity linking is the task of linking a word in a piece of text, to an ‘entity’ or ‘concept’ from a knowledge base . It allows us to automatically detect what is being talked about in a document, as opposed to seeing what words it is composed of.

Translation

La désambiguïsation des entités consiste à lier un mots dans un document textuel à une entité ou concept dans une base de connaissances. Cela nous permet de detecter automatiquement de qui on est en train de parler dans le document. A l'opposé de voir de quels mots est constitué le document.

My confusion is because of as opposed to seeing what words it is composed of.

• Is the following translate correct? Should we say de qui or de quoi?
  • Is there a better translatation?

Thank you.

You can translate it par "De quoi le document parlait" ? – Steeven Brunner Oct 20 '16 at 18:55

I am not sure about the relevance of your translation. It seems to rely a lot on automatic word swap. Here's what I suggest :

Relier les entités consiste à lier un mot apparaissant dans un texte à une "entité" ou un "concept" existant dans une base de connaissance. Ceci nous permet de déceler/détecter/deviner de manière automatique le contexte d'un document contrairement à l'analyse des mots dont ce document est constitué.

"De qui" is used for people. For abstarct concepts and objects, "De quoi" should be used.

• thank you @randomhopeful this translation is great. It's much clearer now – Hani Goc Oct 20 '16 at 20:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.