What is a colloquial expression for a chewing gum in French?

I know that the formal one is "gomme à mâcher f".

Thank you.


3 Answers 3


In France, we just say "un chewing-gum", as far as I know. I never heard of any more colloquial expressions for them.

You can see that Wikipedia simply uses "chewing-gum" all over the place :

Des études ont montré que le chewing-gum peut améliorer l'humeur de celui qui en consomme[réf. nécessaire].

In Québec, people say "une gomme". Some other expressions (chiclette, chique) are used in other french-speaking places, but I never heard them in France.


A colloquial term used to be an 'apocope' where the -gum part is not pronounced, and the chewing pronunciation is frenchized. Something that sounds a bit like: un chou-in'g, or better /ʃwiŋ[ə]/ (thanks to @jlliagre).

tu me files un chou-in'g ?

I don't know if it is still in use very often. Some have tried to propose the term "mâchouillon", but that did not work.

  • 2
    En phonétique plutot /ʃwiŋ[ə]/ que /ʃu.ɛ̃gə/
    – jlliagre
    Oct 21, 2016 at 0:04
  • Oui, bien sûr !
    – jlliagre
    Oct 21, 2016 at 4:49

Nowadays, we use "une gomme" for a chewing gum in Quebec. There are also Anglicism like in France where they simply say "chewing-gum", mais ça dépends seulement de ce que vous preferez.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.