What would you call a "gasoline lawn mower" in French?

I know that lawn mower is "tondeuse à gazon f".

Could it be "tondeuse à gazon à essence f"?

Thank you.

In France, you will often find:

Tondeuse à gazon thermique

(short for "à moteur thermique")

See French Wikipedia.

In Switzerland and Canada you might find:

Tondeuse à gazon à essence.

I would say that both are correct. In fact, the second is more straightforward.

My guess is that the rather convoluted use of "thermique" was dictated by the double use of "à" in "à gazon à essence", which is intuitively disgraceful to the ear.

I have also seen:

Tondeuse à gazon essence,

where the second "à" has been dropped, which is business language, not regarded as grammatically standard. Which tends to reinforce the point that the French language dislikes such a repetition.

As @fralau said, in Canada we would say,

Tondeuse à gazon à essence.

We could also say,

Tondeuse à gazon motorisée.

However, in actual conversation, "Tondeuse à gazon" or even just "Tondeuse" are assumed to be referring to a gasoline lawn mower unless it is otherwise specified.

• “Tondeuse (à gazon) motorisée” or just “tondeuse (à gazon)” could also mean an electric mower. – Gilles 'SO nous est hostile' Oct 27 '16 at 21:53
  • @Gilles I agree it could, it's just (at least in my locality) it would undoubtedly be assumed to be gas powered unless it was specified that it was electric. But maybe this isn't the case everywhere. :) – anonymous2 Oct 28 '16 at 1:50
    Fellow Canadian here. I always assume gas powered unless otherwise specified. – ApplePie Oct 29 '16 at 3:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.