What is a better translation of a "fraction line" into French?

I have two:

  • ligne de fraction
  • barre de fraction

"fraction line" is a line between the nominator and denominator of a fraction. It looks like a horizontal line or a slash.

I think that the 2nd one is better.


EDIT: maybe there is a difference between the line that appears in the horizontal vs diagonal fraction.

  • In what context are you saying fraction line? Because in English, one normally just talks about the numerator and the denominator. Can you give us more context??
    – Lambie
    Oct 30, 2016 at 15:57
  • 2
    @Lambie In English when you write a fraction vertical fraction you have 3 elements: a numerator, a fraction bar and a denominator, see an example on a site for kids. When you write a linear fraction you also have 3 elements: a numerator, a stroke (they call it slash in the US) and a denominator, see the fraction article on Wikipedia. Although OP's English is not really good, the picture they're pointing to makes the question and context very clear.
    – None
    Oct 30, 2016 at 16:27
  • It's still not clear. Fraction bar? Stroke? Slash in the US? A stroke or slash in the US is always on an angle. So, it's not what the dividing line between the numerator and denominator is called. It's just a (horizontal or diagonal, in some typography) line separating the two. Now, in what context would one need to name that? A fair question, isn't it?
    – Lambie
    Oct 30, 2016 at 16:34

3 Answers 3


In French, like in English, you can write a fraction horizontally or vertically. You use a barre de fraction ("fraction bar" in English) to separate the numerator from the denominator. When the fraction is written horizontally the barre de fraction is called a barre oblique ("fraction slash" or "fraction stroke" in English).

  • I would also add barre de division. Note that your last sentence might be (mis)understood to mean an horizontal bar is a barre oblique, which is defying geometry ;-)
    – jlliagre
    Oct 31, 2016 at 6:47
  • @jlliagre Indeed. In case it could really be misunderstood I've repeated the word fraction. I did not mention barre de division because here I am not describing a mathematical operation but just naming an object. OP didn't ask for "division bar" but for "fraction (line)bar" .
    – None
    Nov 2, 2016 at 6:56

Le trait ou barre de fraction ou vinculum signifie que l'on divise le numérateur par le dénominateur.

-- Wikipedia: Fraction (mathématiques)


I've studied math and physics for a bunch of years, I've heard "barre de fraction" much, much more.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.