Which one is correct? I think that grammatically correct should be "en ce qui", but I've been seeing "en se qui" a lot so I'm not sure. Why are there two versions and which one is right?

• You are right, "en ce qui" is correct, and "*en se qui" is plainly a mistake. It's not a very uncommon one, but usually when you see a "se/ce" mistake in writing (by natives!), you can expect upwards of one orthographical error per word in the neighbourhood. Read with caution if you're a learner ;) – Nikana Reklawyks Nov 10 '16 at 13:10
  • Yeah, thank you. I thought that was the case :) – J. Blaha Nov 10 '16 at 14:55

The correct form is "en ce qui concerne".

"Se" is a pronoun (of the 3rd person), and is only ever used with pronominal verbs (do something (to) oneself - se promener, se laver, etc.). Aside from these, all grammatical constructions use "ce".

• You say “Se … is only...used w/pronominal verbs,” but it's also found in isolated pronominal uses of non-pronominal verbs, no? I mention this nuance not to question your claim, but it might affect Aurélien's claim that "the verb...se concerner…doesn't exist,” for I've seen isolated pronominal uses of “concerner,” including its tongue-twisting use w/the phrase at issue: “en ce qui se concerne.” – Papa Poule Nov 10 '16 at 17:15
  • Yes, it is. I'd argue that "se concerner" is a degenerated pronominal verb (or, as you say, that there are isolated pronominal uses of it). I answered Aurélien in another comment. – Nikana Reklawyks Nov 11 '16 at 3:40

The correct expression is "en ce qui concerne". The other expression doesn't exist. Saying "en se qui concerne", would mean the verb is "se concerner", but it doesn't exist in French.

• C'est exact mais il faudrait donner des explications. – Toto Nov 10 '16 at 12:26
  • Oui pardon, c'est mon premier post. Cela est-il mieux ? – Aurélien Bretin Nov 10 '16 at 12:36
    Cette expliquation ne fonctionne pas pour "en ce qui regarde", car "se regarder" existe... mais la construction de la phrase serait quand même erronée... – Random Nov 10 '16 at 12:53
  • Sauf que "en ce qui regarde" n'existe pas et je ne vois pas d'autres verbes qui peuvent être utiliser dans la forme "en ce qui" + verbe. – Aurélien Bretin Nov 10 '16 at 14:07
  • "En ce qui touche", "en ce qui a trait à". As Papa Poule hints to, what about "Il ne se concerne que de l'année 2016" ? "Se concerner" est rare, mais existe. – Nikana Reklawyks Nov 11 '16 at 3:39

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.