I think I have read following expression somewhere:

J'étais chocolat.

Is this an existing expression (so I remember correctly)? What does it mean?

closed as off-topic by Gilles 'SO nous est hostile' Nov 14 '16 at 23:04

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "Please look up the meaning of words or expressions in a dictionary first. If you did so and found nothing satisfactory, mention that in your question. Do give context for where you heard or saw the word." – Gilles 'SO nous est hostile'
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Did you look it up in a dictionary? Which one(s)? What did they say? What part didn't you understand? – Gilles 'SO nous est hostile' Nov 14 '16 at 23:04
  • @Gilles I looked for it on Google but did not find anything. I also asked a native French speaker but he did not know this expression. – Karlo Nov 16 '16 at 10:49
    Google is not a dictionary. The easiest freely-available dictionary, Wiktionary, has an explanation in both French and English. Now maybe the dictionary meaning doesn't make sense to you in context, but then you need to tell us what the context is and why the meaning from the dictionary doesn't seem to fit. – Gilles 'SO nous est hostile' Nov 16 '16 at 10:57
  • @Gilles OK, sorry, I had not thought of the fact that dictionaries also contain expressions. – Karlo Nov 20 '16 at 1:18

Yes, such an expression exists in French but it is not mainstream and won't be understood by everyone.

It means to be duped, to fail something, see for example this page and wikipedia.

Beware that the same expression might be used with different meanings, for example to tell what hot beverage you like :

– Tu veux un café ?
– Non merci, moi je suis chocolat.

It might also be used to tell you wear something color chocolate, or that your hairs or your skin has the same color.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.