What does

"les" + singular proper noun

signify?

For example, what does

les Jean

mean? "Johns"? In the sense of: "People like Jean"?

• Could you provide more context ? As a native French speaking I don't think I've ever seen this kind of construction. Are you sure it was not "Les gens" which sounds the same ? – Tim Nov 18 '16 at 7:08
  • @TimF Here's the French sentence I read: "Ils nous présentent des théories mécaniques singulièrement déchues du degré où les avaient portées les Jean Buridan et les Albert de Saxe." – Geremia Nov 18 '16 at 22:55
  • OK, so here I think it means "the people similar as Jean Buridan or Albert de Saxe". It's representing a category of people by naming two of them. – Tim Nov 19 '16 at 8:25
  • @TimF That's exactly what I thought, too. Thank you! – Geremia Nov 19 '16 at 16:18

Sometimes you can find this kind of construction. For instance, "Les Baptiste" will mean "All people named Baptiste". The proper noun can also refer to a entire familly like "les Dupond" (without additional "s").

In French, family names don't take an s in the plural, so I'd guess that this refers to "the Jean family." Some additional context would help, though. :)

• There is the same in English: the Simpsons for example. – Anne Aunyme Nov 18 '16 at 9:12
  • Except that in English, we add an "s" when referring to more than one person named "Simpson." I remember seeing "Les Simpson" on a DVD case in France and being surprised by it—that's actually how I first learned this "rule." – Spencer Greenhalgh Nov 18 '16 at 15:30
    You can put a plural on very famous family name. "les Tudors" for example. I guess the Simpsons could fit in there :-) french.stackexchange.com/questions/9048/… – Simon Mourier Nov 19 '16 at 7:41

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.