A part le mien, il devrait en rester quatre.

au lieu de : À part le mien, il devrait en rester quatre.

I chalked it up to a mere typo at first, but I now notice that it is quite ubiquitous in video media. I have always wondered why this flagrant grammatical error slips into subtitles, even in the final product.

A vrai dire, ...

au lieu de : À vrai dire, ...

• The "À" is especially hard because it's alone, and "A" exists, so it doesn't get corrected. If you start you sentence by "Etonnant", the spell checker will correct it to "Étonnant". When I want to type "À" I have to type "DEJA", then correct it to "DÉJÀ" and remove the extra letters. Nov 20 '16 at 23:39
    @TeleportingGoat If you have an AZERTY, just press [Alt Gr] + [7/è/`] then your [A] and it will be À.
    – Yohann V.
    Nov 21 '16 at 8:27
  • Alt + 0192 types À. Too bad Azerty keyboard aren't still adapted to these characters in 2016... I printed a sheet with all the accentuated characters and their Alt codes that I put in front of my computer. Now I know them all by heart but still.
    – Ctouw
    Nov 21 '16 at 8:42
  • @Ctouw I guess, it's just not easy to remember (there are a lot of other special characters I use and I have to remember. Yohann, how do you even do that ? I have no idea how to make that work. Nov 21 '16 at 8:52
  • @TeleportingGoat Of cours it's not easy to remember and that's why people get lazy to do it. I'm just one of the few maniacs to learn these codes. As for Yohann V.'s technique, it'll work only on Azerty keyboards. Whatever keyboard you have, find if there is a ` key, press it and the press Shit + A.
    – Ctouw
    Nov 21 '16 at 8:57

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.