I really don't know if the title is right, please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm correcting my French coursework with a friend who is fluent in French.

To my knowledge the sentences:

'C'est parce que je suis toujours sur mon ordinateur à jouer aux jeux vidéo.'

and

'Je ne vais à pied que à l'école'

Are right, according to me and my French teacher, who I suppose doesn't speak fluent French, however the correct way - Or best - of saying these are:

'C'est parce que je suis toujours sur mon ordinateur à jouer aux jeux vidéo.'

and

'Je ne vais qu'à l'école à pied.'

What does the 'à' function as in the sentences, she said it was a pronoun, but one, I don't know what a pronoun is, and two she didn't know how to explain any more. The 'à' in "qu'à" and in "ordinateur a jouer"

• /a jouer/ is not right. it sounds like Portuguese to me. /Está sempre a jogar/Also, /a/ is not a pronoun in French, neither is à, à is a preposition and /a/ doesn't exist in French on its own as a word. And sur mon ordinateur is from English: on the computer and it is not idiomatic in French. "toujours accroché à mon ordinateur" would work. the /a/ should be: en train de jouer aux jeux vidéo. Pronouns replace nouns: Marie, elle; Jean, il;Marie et Jean: Ils, etc. (only one example) – Lambie Nov 26 '16 at 1:20
    @Lambie "être à + infinitive" is correct French. – jlliagre Nov 26 '16 at 1:35
  • @jlliagre être à l'école, mais pas /être à jouer/....être à jouer sur mon ordinateur is not correct French. ser a + infinitive in Portuguese is correct Portuguese. commencer à jouer, commencer à comprendre, s'attendre à aller are all correct French. Penser à faire le travail. Certain verbs take à followed by the infinitive. – Lambie Nov 26 '16 at 14:49
    @Lambie This construction that also exists in Italian and Spanish (sono a giocare / estoy a jugar) is correct in French too. Have a look to the tlfi à entry : − être à + inf.« être en train de », périphrase exprimant l'aspect duratif : 9. Tous deux devaient être à causer sous le hangar, lorsque lui s'était avancé pour appeler le sous-chef. É. Zola, La Bête humaine,1890, p. 59. – jlliagre Nov 26 '16 at 15:21
    @Lambie and of course, the expression Il passe son temps à jouer sur son ordinateur is very common French. – jlliagre Nov 26 '16 at 15:25

À (with a grave accent please) is a preposition, not a pronoun.

Your first sentence is correct French, here à jouer is equivalent — See tlfi être III.- B.- 3. a) and Dictionnaire des pièges et difficultés de la langue française — to en train de jouer:

C'est parce que je suis toujours sur mon ordinateur à jouer aux jeux vidéo.

More idiomatic ways would be:

C'est parce que je suis toujours à jouer aux jeux vidéo sur mon ordinateur.

C'est parce que je suis toujours en train de jouer aux jeux vidéo sur mon ordinateur.

Both of your remaining attempts are odd. Depending on what you want to say, that should be:

Je ne vais à l'école qu'à pied. (→ I only go to school by walking.)

or better (thanks to @Lambie)

Je vais toujours à l'école à pied. (→ I always go to school by walking.)

or

Je ne vais à pied qu'à l'école. (→ Except when I go to school, I never walk.)

• In more context, 'En ce moment, je ne fais pas assez d'exercice. Je ne vais qu'a l'école à pied.' I'm trying to say the only exercise I do is walking to school at the moment. – Skidushe Nov 26 '16 at 12:51
  • That sentence sounds better reordered: Je ne vais à pied qu'à l'école. – jlliagre Nov 26 '16 at 13:33
  • I don't go to school but walking is not grammatical in English. Outside going to school is also not grammatical. And the usual spoken way of saying this in French is: Je vais toujours à l'ecole à pied. Because the other ways are very awkward. And no one says: je suis toujours à jouer in modern French. – Lambie Nov 26 '16 at 14:57
    @Lambie About my poor English, fair enough, you are welcome to provide an idiomatic and grammatical translation. I definitely say and hear, elle est toujours dans sa chambre à jouer sur sa console. – jlliagre Nov 26 '16 at 15:35
    cnrtl.fr/definition/soit (rechercher "être en train", partie B-3.a)) ainsi que books.google.fr/… partie 6 – Destal Dec 21 '16 at 9:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.