Tu ressembles peut-être à ton père, mais tu n’as pas l’air d’en avoir la dignité.

= "You have the look of your father, sure, but you don’t exactly exude dignity, unlike him."

= [you don’t have his dignity]

Am I correct in assuming that the sentence can be rephrased as:

Tu ressembles peut-être à ton père, mais tu n’as pas l’air d’avoir la dignité de {lui / ton père}.

If so, can you also say something similar, such as:

Tu ressembles peut-être à ta sœur jumelle, mais tu n’as pas l’air d’en avoir la gentillesse.

or: Tu ressembles peut-être à ta sœur jumelle, mais tu n’en as pas la gentillesse.

= "... but you don’t share your sister’s kindness"

• But Tu ressembles peut-être à ton père, mais tu n’as pas l’air d’avoir la dignité de lui. is not correct. If you want to make it shorter : Tu ressembles peut-être à ton père, mais tu n’as pas sa dignité..
    – Yohann V.
    Nov 28, 2016 at 7:35
  • Once again, as often when you say "Am I correct to assume...", you are correct ! :) En takes the place of the complement, here "ton père". IT avoids repetition. However I think you made a type in your second part : the second sentence is "mais tu n'en a pas la gentillesse". The verb "avoir" is there twice because of "avoir l'air", but if you don't use it there needs to be only one. Nov 28, 2016 at 8:47

1 Answer 1

Yes, en refers to ton père. Generally speaking, the pronoun en stands for de + noun. See When to use the pronoun en? for a general introduction to pronouns and prepositions.

Here it would be possible to use either sa or en:

Tu n’as pas la dignité de ton père.
Tu n’as pas sa dignité.
Tu n’en as pas la dignité.

The meaning is roughly the same, but there is a subtle distinction. Using sa suggests that the father's dignity may have been transmitted to the child, whereas using en merely suggests a similar dignity. However, this nuance is rather weak; it would perfectly possible to say “sa dignité” even if the people involved were not related and there was no suggestion that the quality was transmitted.

• Interesting. I didn't think "en" was generally allowed to be used to refer to a person, why is it allowed in this case?
    – craig_h
    Nov 28, 2016 at 12:30
  • Is the omission of « pas » in the third sentence intentional? If so, why? Nov 28, 2016 at 15:52
  • @craig_h En can't be used for a person when it stands for a complement of a verb that's introduced by de. But when en stands for a complement of a noun that's introduced by de (which is a lot less common than the verb case), there is no person/object distinction. Nov 28, 2016 at 16:54
  • Gilles, I don't understand your reply to @craig_h. What's an example of the forbidden use? Dec 6, 2016 at 18:33
    @AntonSherwood See the answer I link to in my answer here. “Je me passe de l'aide du stagiaire.” → “Je m'en passe.” — “Je me passe du stagiaire.” → “Je me passe de lui.” Dec 6, 2016 at 18:36

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.