In English, if something is egregiously out of place, it can be said that it is “sticking out like a sore thumb”. Example:

I was so bad at playing football and they were all professionals; I stuck out like a sore thumb!

What's an equivalent way of conveying this phrase in French?

Résumé : Y a-t-il un verbe ou une expression française qui veut dire que quelque chose n'est vraiment pas à sa place, de manière bien visible ?

4 Answers 4


Je propose :

  • Détonner
  • Faire tache (no circumflex!)
  • Jurer dans le décor
  • Se voir comme le nez au milieu de la figure.
  • 5
    Not to mention "visible comme une mouche dans un verre de lait" - conspicuous as a fly in a glass of milk. Yuk! Aug 18, 2011 at 20:04
  • "Jurer dans le décor"? Jamais entendu.
    – Knu
    Sep 7, 2011 at 22:57
  • @Knu Moi si, pas si rarement...
    – Shautieh
    Feb 17, 2017 at 16:04

Perhaps something like faire tache (or faire tache dans le paysage) or paraître déplacé.

  • 2
    faire tâche may be followed by dans le paysage.
    – Mukuro
    Aug 18, 2011 at 19:40
  • 3
    No circumflex on tache, please!
    – F'x
    Aug 18, 2011 at 19:45
  • 2
    Indeed, may my iniquity be visited upon me and my children unto the third and fourth generation.
    – Evpok
    Aug 18, 2011 at 20:00

On peut aussi dire que quelque chose est « grand comme une maison » ou « gros comme une maison ».

  • Plutôt grand comme une maison (je ne peut pas corriger, modification trop petite)
    – LudoMC
    Aug 21, 2011 at 11:38
  • Plutôt « je ne peux pas corriger ». :) Aug 22, 2011 at 22:06
  • Argh ! Honte à moi (bouhhh, mais bon c'était tard le soir, enfin je crois...). Pis maintenant c'est maisonn ?!
    – LudoMC
    Aug 22, 2011 at 22:08
  • 4
    On dit plutôt gros comme une maison.
    – raphink
    Aug 22, 2011 at 22:16

If it is out of place in a positive manner, you can say "sortir du lot".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.