Is this an emphatic phrase to mean "they like you so much (only too much)"? I don't understand the purpose of putting the word "en".

• Évidemment ! Et ils ne t'en aiment que davantage !
    The "en" stands for the reason they have to like you that much (a reason we don't know here). I'd translate it as: "And that makes them love you even more". – Destal Dec 2 '16 at 23:48

I see it as a nearly literal translation of the English notion of:

“They only like/love you [even] more for that/because of it”

I see the “en” as meaning “for that” or “because of it,” where the “that” or “it” is something you’ve done or said (or a character trait you have) that has made “them” love or like “you” even more than they did before, but I don’t see any implication that their affection for you has reached the point of being excessive.

• Indeed. Your translation hits the nail. I'd never expected there to be a French equivalent of the "they only love you all the more for it" construction. 3UPs :) – Con-gras-tue-les-chiens Dec 3 '16 at 5:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.