I have seen this word on some French blogs relating to hair styling. I assume it is a colloquialism since it is not in any dictionaries. What does it mean?


1 Answer 1


This is what is called verlan in french.
"Verlan" stands for "à l'envers", where you revert syllables.
So here "veuch" becomes "ch'veu", which is the short version of "cheveux" => "hair".

  • 1
    Often with Verlan, the last syllable is cut or dropped, especially if it ends with a vowel. Moche becomes cheumo, but the final 'o' is dropped. It makes "cheum". Same goes for : Flic > keufli > keuf and femme meufa > meuf Dec 5, 2016 at 1:01

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.