On entend deux prononciations distinctes du verbe aimer : /eme/ et /ɛme/. Il y a même ceux qui disent /eme/ pour l'infinitif mais (par exemple) /jɛm/ pour une forme conjuguée.

S'agit-il d'une question de région, ou est-ce que la différence est plus subtile ? Une prononciation semblait-elle plus sophistiquée que l'autre ? Quelle prononciation est la plus vieille ?

• Je suis d'accord avec Sumelic concernant le cas d'alternance. Il s’agit probablement d'accent où /ɛ/ et /e/ sont en distribution complémentaire et représentent le même phonème, prononcé [e] si la syllabe est ouverte et [ɛ] lorsqu'elle est fermée. – Circeus Dec 7 '16 at 6:02

I don't know much about this, and I'm a non-native speaker who's never lived in a French-speaking area so I have no personal experience. But, I will try to give a partial answer. I know the question was in French, hunter, but I see that you do understand English as well, and right now I don't feel like I can write this in French (I may edit it later to fix this). Sorry also for the excessive length.

In very broad terms, "ai" tends to represent [ɛ] (aside from at the end of verbs). I think this pronunciation is older. However, there are a number of factors that cause the pronunciation [e] to occur instead for many speakers in many places.

"Approaching Variation in PFC: the Segmental Level", by Noël Nguyen, from Varieties of Spoken French (edited by Sylvain Detey, Jacques Durand, Bernard Laks, and Chantal Lyche), discusses this a bit. Nguyen summarizes Durand and Lyche (2004) as saying the three main factors affecting the pronunciation of mid vowels in non-accented (non-final) syllables are the loi de position, vowel harmony, and root faithfulness (paradigmatic consistency).

Loi de position

The loi de position is the general tendency for vowels to be mid-low in closed syllables (including syllables followed by a word-final schwa) and mid-high in open syllables. When applied consistently, it leads to a complete neutralization of the contrast between mid-low and mid-high vowels such as [ɛ] and [e]. However, in many accents of French, it only applies in some environments.

In general, Southern French accents tend to follow the loi de position more strictly; however, it is unclear to what extent it applies in non-final syllables. It is clear the contrast between mid-low and mid-high vowels is neutralized, but it's less clear what factors govern the actual phone used in non-final syllables. (See comments here Wordreference: Are open-mid and closed-mid vowels still phonemic in French? How many minimal pairs? starting from Nino83, Oct 11, 2015). The two viewpoints seem to be that mid vowels in non-final syllables may still follow the loi de position, or they may have a tendency to be mid-high regardless of syllable structure.

In Northern French accents, front mid vowels are only consistently subject to the loi de position in closed syllables: here only [ɛ] is possible (at least, this is clear for closed final syllables; non-final syllables that are only closed due to schwa syncope, such as the first syllable of médecin, seem to have more variable/uncertain pronunciations). But in open final syllables, mid-high /e/ and mid-low [ɛ] contrast, at least in the standard (which has /ɛ/ in "lait" and /e/ in "clé"). I don't know if there are any accents that maintain a contrast between /ɛ/ and /e/ in final open syllables but have totally neutralized the distinction in non-final open syllables.

I believe the loi de position is even more limited in Belgian and Swiss French accents. "French and Northern Gallo-Romance", by John Charles Smith, in The Oxford Guide to the Romance Languages says that in Swiss French [ɛ] is commonly found in non-final open syllables where standard French has [e], although the example he gives looks odd to me: he says "l'étoile" would be pronounced [lɛtwal] while "les toiles" would be pronounced [letwal], the opposite of what I would have guessed. (Can any user who is more familiar with Swiss French confirm this?)

The following document may also be relevant: La loi de position dans la phonologie du français contemporain

Vowel harmony

The next factor mentioned, vowel harmony, tends to affect non-final vowels. It generally shows up as height assimilation, so there is a tendency to use [ɛ] before low or mid-low vowels and [e] before high or mid-high vowels. I don't know the exact regions this is associated with, unfortunately, but I believe it's generally associated with Northern France accents (see "French: A Linguistic Introduction" by Zsuzsanna Fagyal, Douglas Kibbee and Frederic Jenkins).

Root faithfulness

The last factor, root faithfulness is fairly self-explanatory: there's a tendency to use the same vowel in all forms of a word.

Aimer

Considering "aimer" specifically: as far as I know, all accents would use [ɛm(ə)] for conjugated forms such as "aime, aimes, aiment" due to the loi de position.

For the infinitive "aimer":

• As far as I know, the pronunciation [eme] would definitely be preferred over [ɛme] in Southern French accents due to the neutralization between [ɛ] and [e] and the loi de position.

• In Northern French accents, I would expect more variability. For speakers who have /ɛ/ and /e/ as distinct phonemes, the principle of root faithfulness would favor pronouncing "aimer" as /ɛme/. However, Northern French accents also tend to have regressive vowel height assimilation which would favor /eme/. I don't know which of these tendencies wins out in practice. (Note: an interesting example of vowel harmony operating in the opposite direction on this root is "aimable", which is typically said to be pronounced /ɛmabl/ (see for example https://hal.inria.fr/file/index/docid/308395/filename/1560.pdf)

• I don't know enough about Swiss and Belgian French to say how the words would be pronounced here. I would guess it is more similar to Northern France than Southern France accents. I found a paper here "The variation of pronunciation in Belgian French", by Philippe Hambye and Anne Catherine Simon, that says the phonemic distinction between /ɛ/ and /e/ "is not stable in non-tonic syllables" for many speakers, especially young ones.

Overall, I doubt the choice of vowel here has much significance. The literature I have read suggests that that /ɛ/ and /e/ are rarely contrastive in non-final syllables in any region, and although speakers vary in their pronunciation, I don't think the pronunciation of the first vowel "aimer" would be a regional shibboleth like the pronunciation of the vowel in "chose".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.