I mean, when not taking the form of “tellement ... que”?

I want to say:

Le risotto, c’est l’une de ses spécialités. Quand elle leur en a fait, ses parents sont restés sans voix tellement c'était incroyablement délicieux.

I’m not sure if it is correct to use “tellement” in this manner like a conjunction – as a paraphrase of:

Le risotto, c’est l’une de ses spécialités. Quand elle leur en a fait, c'était tellement incroyablement délicieux que ses parents sont restés sans voix.

Both of your sentences are correct, even if mixing tellement and incroyablement sounds a bit too much, a bit childish.
    – Destal
    Dec 14 '16 at 17:43
    A good substitute for "tellement" in the first sentence is : "ses parents sont restés sans voix tant c'était délicieux". And maybe it's just me, but I'd rather say "il était délicieux". If you're being general you say "c'est bon", but talking about a specific dish it's: "Bravo pour ton risotto, il est délicieux !" Dec 15 '16 at 9:35
  • @TeleportingGoat Hi. Does this specific use of "tant" belong to a higher register than "tellement"? Also, should I place a comma before "tant/tellement" when they are used this way? Dec 15 '16 at 19:35
    @Ahalone-zee Yes it's more formal. You don't need to place a comma. By the way, in your second sentence, you can't replace "tellement" by "tant", the formal version is "c'était si bon que...". I'm realizing just now, but I'm pretty sure you can't say "très délicieux" (and thus tellement/tant/si) for the same reason you can't say "very huge". Dec 15 '16 at 21:03

Tellement is already a superlative. If you mix it with incroyablement, you will come off as cheapening the intensity of both words. Try this

Le risotto est l'une de ses spécialités. Quand elle en a fait à ses parents, ils sont restés sans voix tellement c'était délicieux.

The turn of phrase is more appropriate when spoken than written. In written form, you would remove the split of the second sentence, as such:

Celui qu'elle a fait à ses parents était tellement délicieux qu'ils sont restés sans voix.

Why would you change so many details in the sentence? Only incroyablement needs to be removed.
    – Destal
    Dec 14 '16 at 21:42
  • Like I said, even though the first sentence is proper spoken French, it is awkward as written French. Try to reduce split sentences and the use of ce and c' when writing Dec 14 '16 at 22:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.