What is French for Wine Box (not a case, but a vaccuum sealed bag)?

In Calais wine shops if you ask for a wine box you get a wooden case with bottles inside. In English supermarket a wine box is cardboard with something like this inside enter image description here

and with its outer packaging

enter image description here

Shockingly, it looks like the French have adopted an English term Bag-in-Box


Surely not.

I'm trying to Google what the French say for wine boxes.

  • “Surely not”. And why not?
    – Evpok
    Dec 17, 2016 at 20:58
  • I thought there was a French minister banning English words to protect the French language.
    – S Meaden
    Dec 17, 2016 at 21:02
  • 1
    Not really no. The Académie Française and the Office Québecois de la Langue Française do recommend alternatives, but no one is banning anything, and in France at least — where the linguistic pressure is historically weaker — not many people actually heed their recommendations.
    – Evpok
    Dec 18, 2016 at 10:09

2 Answers 2


French wine sellers call it too BIB and a suggested translation is outre à vin but I wouldn't ask for an outre à vin in a wine shop.

Either use the old cubi (for Cubitainer) which would always be understood or better, prefer fontaine à vin which clearly rules out plain bottles and isn't associated with low quality wine like cubi might be.

A reseller also suggests carton cubi, carton fontaine à vin, carton bouteille. The oqlf dictionary also has caisse outre and carton-outre.


As Jiliagre said, "wine box" could be translate in many ways : "fontaine à vin", "outre à vin", "cubi"...

If you would like to ask for a BIB in shop, I advice you to use the world "cubi" which is the most used world in French for BIB :)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.