The pronoun "en" can be used to replace a phrase "de ...", as in

Il y a (beaucoup de/peu de/quelques) restaurants.

Il y en a (beaucoup/peu/quelques-uns).

If the phrase is after the preposition, such as in

Je suis allé à (beaucoup de/peu de/quelques) restaurants.

can we use en at all? Or do we always have to drop it?

Il y a des centaines de restaurants dans la ville. J'en suis allé à (beaucoup/peu/quelques-uns), et ils sont assez bien, à mon avis.

or

Il y a des centaines de restaurants dans la ville. Je suis allé à (beaucoup/peu/quelques-uns), et ils sont assez bien, à mon avis.

Yes en can have as antecedent (beaucoup de/peu de/quelques) + something, but the issue is with the intransitive verb être with which en cannot be used that way.

You need to select a transitive verb, for example fréquenter, visiter, essayer then en will be possible, e.g.:

Il y a des centaines de restaurants dans la ville. J'en ai essayé quelques-uns, et ils sont assez bien, à mon avis.

• Thanks. Can I still say "Je suis allé à (beaucoup/peu/quelques-uns)", without the en? – user11550 Dec 20 '16 at 1:32
  • You might say: Je suis allé dans beaucoup/peu d'entre-eux, je suis allé dans quelques-uns (d'entre-eux) – jlliagre Dec 20 '16 at 1:41
  • Thanks. Is there an explanation why we say "Je vais dans un restaurant", but "Je vais au restaurant"? – user11550 Dec 20 '16 at 1:50
  • Au = à le, see also french.stackexchange.com/questions/14734/… – jlliagre Dec 20 '16 at 2:07

First, I wouldn't say "je suis allé à un restaurant, mais

"je suis allé dans un restaurant."

ou

"je suis allé au restaurant."

Now, to answer the question, if I had to use a pronoun I would take y when you are not replacing something that follows de.

"j'y suis (beaucoup/peu/souvent) allé."

• I think the meaning could be different. If I want to say "There are many restaurants in the city. I've been to some of them, and they are pretty good." I don't think the part "I've been to some of them" can be properly translated with your suggestions. – user11550 Dec 19 '16 at 20:27
  • you are right : my suggestion would rather be used for "There are many restaurant in the city. I went there many time. "If you want to say: "I've been to some of them", I would say "je suis allé dans certains de ceux-ci." – radouxju Dec 19 '16 at 20:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.