I wrote in an email:

Il lui coûterait sans doute de l’avouer, mais sa maîtrise de la cuisine japonaise est assez médiore...

I haven’t given it much thought until now, but when « il/cela/ça » serves as the dummy subject referring to the part after « de », I’m not completely sure when to use « il », as opposed to « cela/ça ».

The difference between « cela » and « ça » is about formal vs informal, but how do these two compare with « il »?

Regarding this matter, @Marc wrote a pretty accurate and complete answer, that you can find here.

To add a little something to his answer, I'd say that both can be used in that case. Ça would be the everyday language version (considering the fact that "Ça" is a shortened version of "Cela", "Ceci") when Il would be a more elegant and impersonal one (regarding that particular case).

• Hi. I noticed the post myself, but it seems that the dummy subject use of "il" doesn't get a mention there. – Con-gras-tue-les-chiens Dec 23 '16 at 13:49
  • Oh well. He's kind of addressing it at the end. "« Il » est aussi un pronom impersonnel (absence de sujet réel) utilisé dans de nombreux cas particuliers", at least it looks like it to me. – Shozs Dec 23 '16 at 14:01

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.