This question already has an answer here:

Ok, so recently in my French class my teacher yelled "putain!" out loud but later on continued the lesson as nothing happened. I got confused for a second. I think I was the only one to actually realize that our teacher cursed in class, because our class consists of all beginners in French, so I'm not sure all of them know the French swearwords.

When I got back home, I chatted with my French friend about that and he said it surely had to be a funny situation. "You know, putain, nowadays, is getting less vulgar than it has ever been" my friend said.

But... What? Why? Last I checked, a month ago or so, I read that it was a clear swearword and one of the strongest.

So how is it? Is it a swearword? A "lesser swearword"? Or maybe not a swearword anymore?

marked as duplicate by Gilles Jan 3 '17 at 22:24

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

• This question has already been answered here. Please do say if you need it to be translated. – Laure Jan 3 '17 at 18:49
  • I'm a French beginner, so yes, I would need a translation. – Martin Jan 3 '17 at 18:53
  • Swearing is very different in depending on cultures, in France you can swear on TV for example, it won't shock anyone. – Teleporting Goat Jan 3 '17 at 19:09
  • Wrote an English version of the post. A question to you: where did you read it was one of the strong swearword ? Your French friend is probably more reliable. – Laure Jan 3 '17 at 19:34
  • @Laure Pourquoi cette question est marquée "exact duplicate" alors que sur la plupart des autres SE on trouve "possible duplicate" ? Je suis pas d'accord sur le fait que ce soit exactement la même question que l'autre, qui parlais surtout des autres mots, et la partie sur putain est assez différente. – Teleporting Goat Jan 3 '17 at 23:09

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.