I just wrote in an email:

Je ne sais que trop bien ce que ça fait de taper les lettres japonaises sur un clavier français. Parce que, inversement, on s'arrache les cheveux pour les accents français ! Peut-être qu’il vaudrait mieux que tu poses cette question sur le SE ? Je viens d'ailleurs de tomber sur cette page :

I wonder which adverb or adverbial phrase is well suited to comparing these two sentences, as well as where to place it.

• Maybe replacing "parce que" with "mais" would permit you to use one of these adverbs of opposition to capture the (less important) switching/swapping notion without detracting from the (more important, imo) notion of sympathy/empathy (& I'd change "ca fait" to "ca doit faire") (Je ne sais que trop bien ce que ça doit faire de taper les lettres japonaises sur un clavier français. Mais nous/ici, par contre, on s'arrache les cheveux pour les accents français!). – Papa Poule Jan 5 '17 at 0:01

I wouldn't use a word that means a strong opposition, because you want to say it's the same thing with French accents. I would better say:

Parce que, de la même manière, on s'arrache [...]

It's more a parallel, a comparison, than an opposition.

And I couldn't explain why but the use of "parce que" with "inversement" sounds strange. This sounds better to me:

Et, inversement, on s'arrache [...]

Still, I wouldn't say your sentence is wrong, French people could use it this way.

| improve this answer | |
  • Hi. Jiliagre has pointed out that "inversement" is not suitable for use here. What's your take on it? :) To elaborate on the reason why I used "inversement": "Vous avez du mal à taper les lettres japonaises sur un clavier français" alors que "Nous avons du mal à taper les lettres accentuées françaises sur un clavier japonais". I tend to use "inversement" when the elements in the mentioned two ideas are kind of switched/swapped around, in a manner of speaking. And this sentence seems to call for its use. At the same time, though, I was ambivalent about placing it here. Merci. – Con-gras-tue-les-chiens Jan 4 '17 at 16:56
    @Ahalone-zee I get why you used inversement and it makes sens, that's why I didn't say it's wrong, but it just sound strange. As Papa Poule noted, replacing parce que with mais makes the use of inversement sound better. – Destal Jan 5 '17 at 7:14

You can't use inversement because it means "on the opposite* while in fact, you describe a similar situation.

What you want to state is there is some symmetry, you might then replace inversement by de notre côté aussi:

Parce que, de notre côté aussi, on s'arrache les cheveux pour les accents français !

| improve this answer | |
  • Hi. What do you think of the following versions, with those adverbs placed at the end? "Parce qu'on s'arrache les cheveux pour les accents français, en revanche / inversement / à l'inverse !" Are you still against using them? Can you also take a look at the comment I've left under Simon Déchamps' answer? Merci. :) – Con-gras-tue-les-chiens Jan 4 '17 at 17:05
    Ok, I got the idea now but en revanche, inversement or à l'inverse are still not right semantically, even if they might be possible mathematically. That would work if you said en revanche, nous on n'a pas de problème avec les accents français. – jlliagre Jan 4 '17 at 20:48

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.