(a) C'était bon de me détendre pendant les vacances.

(b) C'était bon de m'être détendu(e) pendant les vacances.

Which sentence is correct? Since we are talking about the vacation which is in the past, I think (b) should be more correct. But I'm not sure if (a) is correct as well.

What about

(c) C'est bon de finir mon travail.

(d) C'est bon d'avoir fini mon travail.

• a) is the right answer. b) includes "imparfait" and "passé compose" in the same sentence which makes it really confusing overall. – 12Lappie Jan 10 '17 at 21:42
  • @12Lapointep Thanks. Would it be correct to say "C'est bon de m'être détendu(e) pendant les vacances."? – user11550 Jan 10 '17 at 23:36
  • I would put C'est in past tense right away to shy away from any confusion it might cause by reading your sentence. Therefore, the second verb would be in the present. – 12Lappie Jan 11 '17 at 13:28
up vote 1 down vote accepted

(a) is right.

(b) is less idiomatic; it looks like a past in the past.

(c) should be C'est bon de finir son travail.

(d) ditto: should be C'est bon d'avoir fini son travail.

• Would it be idiomatic to say "C'est bon de m'être détendu(e) pendant les vacances."? – user11550 Jan 10 '17 at 23:30
  • Also what do you think about the sentences (c) and (d) I just added? – user11550 Jan 10 '17 at 23:35
  • Answer added. (c) and (d) are fine when turned into generic statements. – jlliagre Jan 11 '17 at 0:13
  • Why can't I use "mon" in (c) and (d) if I only want to talk about myself rather than make a generic statement? – user11550 Jan 11 '17 at 0:17
  • Because "C'est bon" is generic. Note that if you say c'est bon d'avoir fini son travail when finishing your work, everyone understand you are talking about yourself. Alternatively: Je suis content d'avoir fini mon travail. – jlliagre Jan 11 '17 at 0:44

I agree with @jiliagre: the second feels like your vacations were before another event to which "c'etait" would be attached. In terms of style, "je me suis bien detendu pendant les vacances" is more direct and about equivalent.

• Thanks. Would it be correct to say "C'est bon de m'être détendu(e) pendant les vacances."? – user11550 Jan 10 '17 at 23:35
  • It feels somewhat strange, I wouldn't say it naturally. If you wanted to use "C'est bon", it would have to be "C'est bon de se detendre pendant les vacances": take out the "m'", and it becomes less personal. It's more like a general statement. "C'est bon de s'etre detendu" (past) IMHO doesn't work either. I think this past tense would introduce something specific as jiliagre points to below. Note also how jiliagre also says "c'est bon" is generic. Same feeling for me. – Frank Jan 11 '17 at 1:31

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.