Like in English “He doesn't have a social life”, is it normal to say in French “il n'a pas une vie sociale“? What is a better phrase for the same type of expression?

“Il n'a pas de vie sociale” would be a more accurate translation, and can be used in French. It means exactly the same, however I don't know why, to my ear, the English version sounds joke-ish while the French one sounds grave… Apr 18, 2012 at 19:56
  • @StéphaneGimenez Thanks so much. You could have given this as an answer and I would done an upvote. No, in English it's not jokish. It's a negetive expression to signify an introvert.
    – codious
    Apr 18, 2012 at 20:09
  • @StéphaneGimenez though I have upvoted your comment.
    – codious
    Apr 18, 2012 at 20:12

1 Answer 1

I think the phrase vie sociale would be understood, but it is not idiomatic. I would say

Il n'a pas de vie.

The meaning is subtly dependent on the context. For example, “ce n'est pas une vie” means “this is no way to live”, i.e. there's something wrong with my lifestyle (which is usually not something I can fix); while the absence of a social life is often an aspect of this, it is not the primary meaning.

I think I would more spontaneously use other ways of phrasing “he doesn't have a social life”, not using the word vie:

Il ne sort pas.
Il reste dans son coin.

• perfect explaination.
    – codious
    Apr 18, 2012 at 20:46
  • I would translate "Il n'a pas de vie" (idiomatically) as, "He needs to get a life." But the translation "does the job."
    – Tom Au
    Apr 28, 2012 at 21:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.