I’d like to find out about when to use each one.

Je projette d’acheter de nouveaux habits.

Je projette d’acheter de nouveaux vêtements.

Je projette d’acheter de nouvelles tenues.

• Je projette... – xenoid Jan 13 '17 at 16:40

"Habits" and "vêtements" have the exact same meaning to me. I'd say that "vêtements" sounds maybe a bit more formal than "habits" but both are used fairly commonly.

"Tenue" on the other hand has a slightly different meaning : it is used to refer to an ensemble. A "tenue" is the sum of the "vêtements" that you are wearing (trousers and a shirt is a "tenue" or a skirt, tights and a blouse...). It is mostly used to refer to the set of clothes for a specific event.

"J'ai trouvé une tenue pour la soirée."

• A squirt? Don't google that. – Destal Jan 13 '17 at 16:51
    Oh my god sorry for that, thanks for the edit ! – Cartolin Jan 16 '17 at 8:51

"Tenue" is a set of clothes with a specific purpose: tenue de soirée, tenue de combat, tenue de travail, tenue de ski/tennis...

"habits" is mostly used for the outer layer: jacket, trousers, skirt, sweater... while "vêtements" encompasses everything: shirt, underwear, socks.

• To complete, "habits" will mean "business clothes, not casual" in Quebec and is unusual in France. – Laurent Mazuel Jan 13 '17 at 18:39

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.