I was confused how I should conjugate the verb essayer, or any other ones like nettoyer.

I looked up in a conjugation website,

J'essaie / ye

I'm guessing that means both j'essaie and j'essaye are accepted. However, my teacher said to use j'essaie.

Which one is correct? If both are accepted, is there any difference?

In newspaper and other media, you will find: essaie. Go with what your teacher said. – Lambie Jan 17 '17 at 21:45
    Yes, even if both are correct, the -aie form is much more common. – biozic Jan 17 '17 at 22:12
  • Do you guys have hard data about that? – Frank Jan 17 '17 at 22:23
  • According to ngram, the they are very close. – Teleporting Goat Jan 18 '17 at 15:07
  • @TeleportingGoat I think it's due to the fact that you chose "English"... if you choose "French" for the "corpus", then the result is significantly different... – Yai0Phah Jan 22 '17 at 17:50

It looks like both are in regular use today, and that this is also the case for "payer", "balayer", as well as any other verb in "-ayer". I am not aware of any rule mandating to use one rather than the other when writing vs. speaking.

The pronunciation is slightly different though: "j'essaye" would sound at the end like "pareil", whereas "j'essaie" would sound like "sait".

I am not aware that one pronunciation or the other would have this or that connotation. It is even possible for native speakers to use both in the same conversation.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.