J'ai un ordinateur et des jeux mais c'est mon petit frère qui y joue toujours.

I don't understand the way the word 'y'is used in this sentence.

• How familiar are you with the pronoun y in general ? Does it solve your question to know that "to play a game" is "jouer à un jeu" in French ? – Teleporting Goat Jan 20 '17 at 14:06

Y in this case is replacing the use of "un ordinateur", effectively making the statement less verbose.

For example, you could phrase it as:

"J'ai un ordinateur et des jeux mais c'est mon petit frère qui joue toujours a l'ordinateur"

and it would make just as much sense.

It would be the same in English as contracting the sentence:

"I have a computer and some games, but my little brother plays on the computer all the time"

To:

"I have a computer and some games, but my little brother plays on it all the time."

Actually, "y" stands in for the whole "un ordinateur et des jeux", IMHO. But small detail :-) – Frank Jan 18 '17 at 18:08
  • Couldn't you say- J'ai un ordinateur et des jeux mais c'est mon petit frère qui le joue toujours. – Rishi Malhotra Jan 18 '17 at 18:23
  • Nope - that would now not be correct, because the verb "jouer" is not transitive. We say "jouer a qqchose", not "jouer qqchose" in this case, although we do say "jouer <un personnage de théâtre>" and "jouer une symphonie", "jouer une mélodie", "jouer un morceau". – Frank Jan 19 '17 at 0:21

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.