Is there liaison in these word combinations in Québécois?

• Two native French speakers, both teachers, both from Quebec, have given me contradictory answers.
  • Google Translate has the liaison in its automated recording pronouncing them as "di-minut" [diminyt].
  • Two Quebec speakers on the street have confirmed that /s/ is voiced in dix minutes [disminyt].

6 Answers 6

Copy/paste of the answer I provided here: Six janvier, dix mars, etc There are actually three possible situations, depending mainly on the word following six or dix:

1. If the following word starts with a consonant or an aspirated h, then the final consonant shouldn't be pronounced. Examples : Le six mars, le dix mai, pronounced si and di.
  2. If the following word starts with a vowel or a mute h, then the final consonant is pronounced as a (z). Example : Le six avril pronounced le sizavril.
  3. In the other cases (mainly when six or dix are alone, or finishing a sentence, but also when they are used as a pronoun), the final consonant is pronounced (s). Example : Il m'en reste dix à faire (diss à faire). Le mot que tu cherches se trouve à la page six. (siss). Source : https://www.fpjq.org/pdfs/08-05_outils-nombres.pdf (along with my everyday experience of my native language).

To take in consideration : according to the region of France you live in, liaisons and pronunciation of a final letter are subject to change ; in the south, people are more up to pronounce the final x of six & dix as an s, less in the northern half ; there are even some regions (more in the north-eastern country) where the final t in vingt is being pronounced(but not the g), which always surprises me.

• I agree about an ending "t" being sometimes pronounced in an isolated vingt in Eastern France, but I'm skeptical about a difference between Northern and Southern France regarding six and dix. Which of the rules 1., 2. or 3. do you believe is not followed, and where?
    – jlliagre
    Jan 22, 2017 at 0:10

In french, "x" of "six minutes" is not pronounced because of "contraction des consonnes x et m" rule. However, if we ask "combien de minutes?", the response should be "six" (pronounced "sis"). When the same rule is is applied to "dix minutes", it gives "di-minut"

• what about "kilométrés" ou "dollars"?
    – Natalia
    Jan 20, 2017 at 17:08
  • also would love to hear from somebody living in Quebec
    – Natalia
    Jan 20, 2017 at 17:08

In term of word (category) combination, Num-Measure is a liaison context

Deux z-euros

But most measure nouns are not liaison triggers. None of your examples feature liaison triggers (minute, kilomètre).

Quantifiers like 6 and 10 have a special property for French liaison, they have three different forms:

1. liaison context before a trigger (e.g. enfants): siz, diz
  2. liaison context not before a trigger (e.g. personnes): si, di
  3. not liaison context: sis, dis (six sont venus, dix ont séché)

There's a pretty comprehensive write-up on six and dix on the Québec banque de dépannage linguistique detailing when the final x is pronounced like an s, like a z or not at all.

To answer your question directly, the standard pronunciation of French would not voice the final x in your examples (i.e. pronounce like si-minutes, etc.):

• As-tu vu les six mignons chatons? [simiɲɔ̃] (si-mi-gnon)
  • Vingt-six mille billets sont disponibles. [vẽtsimil] (vin-tsi-mil) [...]
  • Cette entreprise vaut environ soixante-dix millions de dollars. [swasãtdimiljɔ̃] (swa-san-t-di-mi-li-on)
    Can someone from Quebec tell me if "x" at the end is pronounced SOMETIMES without the usual liaison rules (vowel in the beginning of the next word, etc), in a case such as six dollars?
    – Natalia
    Jan 20, 2017 at 17:16
  • Sorry, I'm not from Québec. I guess there could be regional variation but even in Québec I believe the dominant form is the one I referred to.
    – qoba
    Jan 21, 2017 at 8:10
    @Natalia See this answer. There are contexts in which you could say [dis] and even [diz]. As I noted there, here in Ontario I heard someone say "Dix dollars !" with a [z]. :)
    – Luke Sawczak
    Jun 4, 2017 at 18:12

Yes there is.

It is pronounced "si-minut" and not "sis-minut". Same apply for "dix".

In fact, I can only found sample of "sis" and "dis" when enumeration number (i.e. in a standalone way).

• It's not so simple, see "il y en a dix qui sont venus" where dix is pronounced diss.
    – XouDo
    Jul 11, 2021 at 16:36

But for "dix mars", we could maybe say it both ways. Both di-mars and dis-mars could be used, although di-mars is probably the most common by a wide margin. dis-mars is not shocking to me though.

That's a very singular pronunciation. I never heard a native saying \dis maʁs\.
    – jlliagre
    Jan 20, 2017 at 17:56
  • Now you have :-) I use it, probably for emphasis, sometimes. I'm not saying it's common by any stretch of the imagination, but it's not shocking to me.
    – Frank
    Jan 20, 2017 at 18:07
    "By a wide margin" is an understatement…
    – jlliagre
    Jan 20, 2017 at 19:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.