X : Vous vous êtes disputés ?

Y : Non.

X : Non ? Eh bien, vous voyez comme je suis au courant ! J’étais persuadé que vous aviez eu des mots !

I wonder if « comme » is used for emphasis purposes here and the sentence as a whole is intended as an ironic turn of phrase?

Also, I’m curious about the nuances of meaning between « comme je suis au courant ! » and « vous voyez comme je suis au courant ! ».

• It's really hard to say whether it's meant sarcastically without more context. Secondly I don't see particular emphasis here, can you give an example of a sentence that you feel had the same meaning but would be less emphatic? – qoba Jan 21 '17 at 8:32
  • It seems to be ironic. Here "comme" means "à quel point" ("how much"). – Destal Jan 21 '17 at 8:53
  • @qoba Hi. I cannot recall the exact subsequent sentence, but I think it was something like this one. (Edited) – Con-gras-tue-les-chiens Jan 21 '17 at 8:55

There is definitely irony in the second sentence. X is actually telling (s)he is (actually was) unaware of their relationship.

You didn't? Well, that shows how much I'm aware of it! I was convinced you quarreled!

Dropping vous voyez would make the sentence less intelligible, a possible alternative might be:

Non ? Eh bien, je suis au courant maintenant ! J’étais persuadé que vous aviez eu des mots !

Here "Comme je suis [thing]" is "how [thing] I am". You can tell because of "tu as vu".

It also works with avoir :

Tu as vu comme j'ai progressé ? = Have you seen how much I've improved ?

It's hard to translate "être au courant" in a short way so it looks similar in english. I'd say it's something like :

"You see how aware I am of what's happening between you two ? I was certain you argued !"

About your last part, using "comme" alone (in the beginning of a sentence) means you're impressed by something, it's an exclamation.

Comme c'est beau ! = It's so beautiful !

A more casual say of saying is with "comment": "Comment j'ai faim !" = "Man, I'm hungry"

"Comme" can also express a cause, if it's accompanied by the consequence.

Comme vous me dites jamais rien, je sais pas si vous vous disputez ou pas.

You never tell me anything, so I don't know if you argue or not.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.