While listening to news about Emmanuel Macron, I heard this sentence

Il devrait s'articuler autour d'une dizaine de mesures ___. Les Français pourront alors juger.

The missing word sounds like "far", but I looked up the dictionary and apparently far means "prune custard flan", so it's probably not the word I'm looking for. I guess one could say une dizaine de mesures clé, but this is not what was said in the news.

• Can you give a link so that we can listen to it? – Laure Feb 5 '17 at 9:59

It's probably:

Il devrait s'articuler autour d'une dizaine de mesures phare(s). Les Français pourront alors juger.

A phare is a lighthouse. But in this context, a mesure phare is like a central point of his campaign, something important, that will guide his action, be very recognizable... whereas other measures won't necessarily be phare but more mundane.

I do not know if phare should be plural or not in this case.

• Why should it not be in the plural? – user11550 Feb 5 '17 at 16:58
  • Nouns used as adjectives do not necessarily take the plural. Consider e.g. des chaussures marron. – Alexandre Flak Feb 5 '17 at 17:06
  • @AlexandreFlak Wiktionary has the plural form, and in fact even this particular example des mesures phares. – user11550 Feb 5 '17 at 17:07
  • Yes, and so does this reference from OQLF. But I don't know where that usage comes from. – Alexandre Flak Feb 5 '17 at 17:09
  • I'll stay neutral on that plural: I don't know for sure. It's a case for La Dictée de Benard Pivot :-) – Frank Feb 5 '17 at 17:34

mesure phares - a bit like "showcase measures"

• Yes, that's it - although both "mesure" and "phare" should be in the plural. See e.g. here. – Alexandre Flak Feb 5 '17 at 11:51
    Maybe you could explain the relevance of phare in this context. I don't agree with @AlexandreFlak about the plural on both words but actually you could reflect the formula in the original question mesures phare, on a par with mesures clé. – GAM PUB Feb 5 '17 at 14:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.