Je ne joue pas au tennis parce que c'est trop difficile pour moi.

Je ne joue pas au tennis parce qu'il est trop difficile pour moi.

Which one is correct, or both? If both are correct, is there a difference in meaning?

Similarly,

J'ai une table. Elle est grande.

J'ai une table. C'est grand.

J'ai une table. C'est grande.

1 Answer 1

In the first series, the second one does not work. Only the first one is possible. That is probably because ce refers to the whole jouer au tennis, to which cannot really be assigned an il or elle. It's more of an "abstract" thing than required for il or elle.

In the second series, only the first one is possible. The other two are broken. It's the reverse here: table is pretty clearly a feminine noun for a concrete thing. So elle not only works, but is even required.

Let's try this:

Je monte sur la table. Elle est grande.

Je monte sur la table. Ça me fait du bien.

Both are possible. In the first example, elle clearly refers to the table. In the second example, ça on the other hand refers to the action of monter sur la table.

• Interesting. Why is the correct pronoun ce in the first series but elle in the second series? The two series are very similar to each other.
    – user11550
    Feb 18, 2017 at 5:47
  • Yes, they are - and I noticed you asked the question in that very smart fashion :-) I am currently at a loss for an explanation, but these cases are pretty black and white, there is no gray area here.
    – Frank
    Feb 18, 2017 at 5:52
  • I think I got an explanation, which I added to the answer.
    – Frank
    Feb 18, 2017 at 5:54
  • Thanks. But couldn't difficile in the first series only refer to le tennis. I think we can say le tennis est difficile (pour moi), can't we?
    – user11550
    Feb 18, 2017 at 6:54
    @user11550 It would be only be possible in this kind of sentence: Je ne joue pas ce tennis là parce qu'il est trop difficile pour moi.
    – jlliagre
    Feb 18, 2017 at 9:22

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.