I do not know any French, but I'm trying to learn French together with my kids. I've found that my kids like to listen to and sing French children songs. Therefore, I decided that this is a good method for us to learn some French.

I found a list of 358 songs on YouTube created by Comptines et chansons. The problem is that this is a very large number of songs, so I would like to know, out of all of these songs, which are the most popular or well-known songs among children who are French native speakers?

As an example, I will give a list of children songs that I believe most English speakers must know:

• Happy Birthday
  • If You're Happy and You Know It
  • The Wheels on the Bus
  • The Alphabet Song (A B C D E F G...)
  • Twinkle Twinkle Little Star
  • Mary had a Little Lamb
  • etc
  • This is really the sort of question that can produce endless lists and is not really about the French Language. This site will give you titles of songs taht I expect all French children (and their aprents) know, but the liks are broken, you'll have to look for the words&music through a search engine. Easy to find. If looking for more you search for "chansons enfantines " and "comptines" (nursery rhymes). I will collect a few useful links and leave them in chatroom.
    – None
    Mar 5, 2017 at 11:38
  • A list of websites that collect the most popular ones. chat.stackexchange.com/transcript/message/35838368#35838368
    – None
    Mar 5, 2017 at 11:54
  • As Laure says, here's a contribution to an endless list, but ... I recently greatly enjoyed two children's albums by the Franco-Manitoban singer Daniel Lavoie. They won't be well-known, I don't think, but they're good and quite sweet: Le bébé dragon and Le bébé dragon 2. And here's a link to two full songs from the latter on YouTube.
    – Luke Sawczak
    Mar 5, 2017 at 20:26

1 Answer 1

• Au clair de la lune
  • mon beau sapin
  • Do, do, l'enfant do
  • Cadet Rousselle
  • Fais dodo, Colas mon petit frère
  • Meunier tu dors
  • un kilomètre à pied, ...

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.