I did someone a favour the other day without expecting anything in return. Then she insisted on returning the favour somehow, so I asked her to do a little something for me.

I wonder if the following sounds idiomatic enough to express the idea of mutual back scratching?

Dans ce cas-là, voyons ça comme un échange de bons procédés !

I cannot seem to find a dictionary entry or a webpage that refers to this expression as a direct translation of the "you scratch my back, I’ll scratch yours". So I'm not sure.

At any rate, I’m looking for an expression to denote a casual quid pro quo arrangement where you agree to scratch someone’s back so they scratch yours.

It's similar but way too formal for a direct translation. – Stéphane Gimenez Mar 6 '17 at 18:47
    donnant-donnant... – GAM PUB Mar 7 '17 at 7:52
  • This might be helpful, but as a non-native (and very average) French speaker, I can't vouch for its accurateness: forum.wordreference.com/threads/… – Dog Lover Mar 7 '17 at 10:28
  • @GAMPUB J'ai pensé comme vous, puis ensuite quand j'ai regardé la définition au TLFi, on cite Ac. qu'on ne veut donner une chose qu'en recevant une autre chose, c'est-à-dire à condition de. Ça m'apparaît légèrement différent (et de mon usage et) d'une constatation qu'il y a eu échange de bons procédés ou un désir de procéder au pair. Et donc il y a aussi gagnant-gagnant mais ça semble davantage technique et moins usuel. Si vous avez une solution avec quelques explications, j'aimerais bien la lire. Merci ! – user3177 Mar 7 '17 at 17:12

Échange de bons procédés is fine.

I would also suggest rendre la pareille or renvoyer l'ascenseur.

For "you scratch my back, I’ll scratch yours" meaning "Do this, and we're even", I would say:

Fais ça et on sera quitte.

• Hi. Essentially, what I want to say here is: "Do this, and we're even", or "Do this, and we consider it as {un échange de bons procédés}". How would you use those two expressions in this particular context? – Con-gras-tue-les-chiens Mar 6 '17 at 20:38
    Not sure how to use the expressions I suggested with your sentence. I'd rather translate it : Fais ça et on sera quitte. – jlliagre Mar 6 '17 at 21:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.