I encountered this while reading Astérix. The exchange goes as follows:

(Astérix and Obélix are walking down a newly-constructed Roman road out of Lutèce)

Astérix: Quelle circulation !

Obélix: Les jours de beau temps, il doit y avoir des amphorisages !

This word doesn't come up in any dictionaries nor in google image search, so I assume it's some sort of joke or play on words. What might it mean?

• These Asterix questions are the best thing on this site. I'm laughing just reading the title – Teleporting Goat Apr 3 '17 at 0:09
  • I'm glad you're enjoying them! I wish I could get all the wordplay as intuitively as native speakers do. I imagine there's a ton that I'm not even noticing. – temporary_user_name Apr 3 '17 at 0:24
  • Keep 'em coming! And don't worry, I until I was like 12-14 I had to my parents about things I didn't understand ^^ And there are probably other puns you're missing because they're hard to notice if you don't know what they're referring to, so don't hesitate to re-read them in a few years if you can ;) – Teleporting Goat Apr 3 '17 at 0:32

It's a jeu de mots that won't be in any dictionary: in French, we have embouteillage, meaning a traffic jam, but containing the word bouteille. In Antiquity, bouteilles were amphores, so they re-used the construction for embouteillage to make amphore + -age = amphorisage.

The word does not really exist in French, it's just made up here. Nobody will understand what you say if you go around talking about amphorisage for traffic jams - well except maybe you could pass for somebody who has read Astérix, if people recognize the reference.

Be on the lookout for jeux de mots in Astérix, it has quite a few (chaque été les Ibères deviennent plus rudes is one of my favorites).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.