I began to study French. I think it is a pretty good language. However, I am confused about some special pronunciation rules. E. g., pronunciation of S in words "disent" and "lisent". Does it sounds [s] or [z]? (I think it can be [z], because it is between two vowels even if E is silent. But I'm not sure.)

The "between two vowels" clue is indeed a good one. aise, philosophe, ose, peser, base, etc. all follow this rule. Note that between two vowels across two words doesn't count: la soupe [s]. Unless it is due to liaison: les oiseaux [lez]. – Luke Sawczak Mar 13 '17 at 17:47

The 's' is pronounced [z] in these cases because it is between two vowels but you should be careful because there are a few exceptions.

They are relatively easy to spot if you are able to detect that the word is a concatenation of a prefix (or another word) and a word that starts with an 's', e.g.:

• parasol
  • vraisemblable
  • désolidariser (but désolé = [dezɔle])
  • dysenterie (but dysurie, an exception in the exceptions…)
  • asocial
  • resalir

Note that the word abasourdi is very often mispronounced by native French speakers with an [s] while it must be pronounced with a [z].

| improve this answer | |

In both words, the s sounds like [z].

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.