This question already has an answer here:

Today in class the teacher wrote "Paris est la plus belle ville que j'aie jamais visitée". I was puzzled by why he added a "e" at the end of visité. From what I know, the sentence says Paris is the most beautiful city I have ever visited. He used belle instead of beau because ville is feminine, and he used the subjonctif passé after que because the sentence is subjective.

Please correct me if I'm wrong about anything. So my question is, why did he add an extra e at the end of the sentence? Is it because the subject (ville) is feminine or is it a direct object?

marked as duplicate by Gilles 'SO nous est hostile' Apr 3 '17 at 19:00

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

Follow the time line : if you know what we are talking about when the verb appears, set gender and plural. If you don't know leave unchanged :

J'ai visité (we don't know yet what it is) la ville...les monuments..
La ville que (we know what it is) j'ai visitée... que j'ai vue
Les monuments que j'ai visités... que j'ai vus..

Sometime you know what but anticipate the description by le la les :

Je les ai vus, les monuments. Je l'ai visitée, la ville.

• This advice doesn't work all the time. "J'ai rencontré les filles et je leur ai parlé". " J'ai rencontré les filles et je les ai saluées". Distinguishing direct & indirect object is essential. – Laure SO - Écoute-nous Apr 4 '17 at 7:19

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.