I am asking the above question as I make macarons and when I give them as gifts I want to seal the boxes with stickers saying the above in French.

• There is no such thing as macaron in English. The word is macaroon, a sweet (or pastry) made with almonds. – Lambie Apr 10 '17 at 14:44
    I recently learned that "macaron" has become common to distinguish macaroon and macaron. The Wikipedia page for the latter reads: "In English, most bakers have adopted the French spelling of macaron for the meringue-based item, to distinguish the two. This has caused confusion over the correct spelling. Some recipes exclude the use of macaroon to refer to this French confection while others treat the two as synonymous." So macaroon might be the original spelling, but it seems like macaron has currency too. – Luke Sawczak Apr 10 '17 at 16:35
  • For marketing material such as stickers, watch out for piecewise translations / missing context. If this goes below a brand, for example, I could more easily see it say "<brand name> / Petite boutique de macarons" (without the article) – qoba Apr 10 '17 at 19:49

La petite boutique de macarons.

In my opinion (native French speaker), using "des" sounds incorrect/ childish

Des is neither incorrect nor (necessarily) childish. – jlliagre Apr 10 '17 at 20:41
  • Native french speaker here. I agree that 'des' sounds incorrect. – ApplePie Apr 11 '17 at 11:00
    @ApplePie So what about the four real life examples I posted at the end of my reply? – jlliagre Apr 11 '17 at 12:58

That would be:

La petite boutique des macarons.

Grammatically, la petite boutique de macarons is "more" correct but less stylish, in my opinion. It would also lead to la petite boutique de Macron these days…

Note that boutique des xxx is not incorrect. For example "The little shop of horrors" was translated in French by La petite boutique des horreurs.

Also: La boutique des saveurs, La boutique des vins, La boutique des voyages, La boutique des étoffes

• Merci beaucoup! I really appreciate your knowledge. I'm a beginner with French. – Lorelle Apr 9 '17 at 11:16
  • Ca existe en France les "macarons"? – Frank Apr 10 '17 at 15:48
  • @Frank lebonbon.fr/paris/les-tops-food-et-drink/… – jlliagre Apr 10 '17 at 16:07
  • To echo Alone-zee's recent phrase: On peut pas vraiment tourner les talons à Paris sans voir une telle boutique ! Also, to weigh in on the des : it sounds a little cutesy to me because it implies that you know these macarons well enough. "Oh, honey, go to that little shop where we get the macarons." Considering that the la is performing this same function ("Which little shop?" — "The little shop!") des isn't out of place, even if it sticks out a little more... – Luke Sawczak Apr 10 '17 at 16:41
    Ah oui ça existe :-) Je note au passage que je peux maintenant dire: "les tops foods et drink" et espérer être compris sans problème ;-) – Frank Apr 10 '17 at 18:00

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.