I keep hearing that phrase almost daily without exactly knowing what it means, but only a guess I have made up from the context of the conversation.

What does it exactly mean, and when/where do I use it (without mistakes) myself?

• It could mean a lot of things and more context is needed to help you. Are you sure you don't mean "dans le cadre". – Laure Apr 11 '17 at 8:35
  • Yes, I am sure. It seemed an error to me at first glance, but the article I got it from is a government press and contains no errors. – samayo Apr 11 '17 at 8:51
  • Is there a context in which "la" could also be correct? I read that from an official gov statement from the French speaking part of Suisse and I don't know if it is correct or not – samayo Apr 11 '17 at 8:56
  • It is an error. – user10155 Apr 11 '17 at 9:01

It means : in the context of/as part of/within the scope of.
For example :

Dans le cadre de notre projet d'implantation en Chine, nous avons décidé d'accélérer la production des modèles X

could be translated

In the context of our Chinese expansion project, we decided to accelerate the production of X models

• It does not mean "in the context of" independently of the context. What about "dans le cadre de votre contrat..." (within the scope of your policy), "dans le cadre (juridique)", (within a (legal) framework), "j'ai traité ce sujet dans le cadre de ma recherche" (I looked into this topic as part of my research), "ce personnage ne rentre pas dans le cadre" (this character is outside the frame of the picture), et je dosi en oublier... – Laure Apr 11 '17 at 10:17
  • What do you mean by independently of the context ? – user10155 Apr 11 '17 at 10:22
  • It means that saying "[dans le cadre de] means "in the context of" " is not correct in every context. OP having given no context, "dans le cadre de" would be translated differently in other contexts. – Laure Apr 11 '17 at 10:51

I think it should be "dans le cadre". It means "in the context" or "as part of".

"Dans le cadre des opérations" => "In the context of operations"

http://www.linguee.fr/francais-anglais/traduction/dans+le+cadre+de.html

Cadre might be feminine nowadays when referring to a female manager/officer/executive (e.g. une cadre supérieure) but preceded by dans, it is an obvious grammar mistake (See TLFi B.-3.), cadre means "frame" here and dans le cadre, "within the limits/context".

Surprisingly, it is not that rare and I found it in a official French writing:

Avis relatif à l'extension d'un accord conclu dans la cadre de la convention collective nationale des bureaux d'études techniques, cabinets d'ingénieurs-conseils, sociétés de conseils

• Thanks. This is what I was looking for. Can you throw me an example on how to form it in grammatical manner? As in "dans la" + "cadre" + "de" + "noun" Is that right? – samayo Apr 11 '17 at 10:03
    To stay grammatical, that must be dans le cadre de la convention collective. The quoted text is blatantly incorrect. – jlliagre Apr 11 '17 at 10:05
  • Yeah, but I meant, if in the future I need to use it in my own sentences, which rules should I follow to construct a statement with it – samayo Apr 11 '17 at 10:09
  • What kind of rule are you thinking of? – jlliagre Apr 11 '17 at 10:19
  • I mean, it I wanted to use the phrase in my own sentences, what are the valid ways to use it, just like there are formulas for constructing a present tense, paste tense ... so on – samayo Apr 11 '17 at 10:28

I would say it is very close to the word frame in English, and its usages as in: the legislators who frame the regulations, to frame a proposal, frame of reference, and just the meaning of structure: an appropriate frame through which to explore dramatic situations.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.