J’ai commencé à apprendre le français quand j’avais dix ans.

or

J’ai commencé à étudier le français quand j’avais dix ans.

Which one is correct? If both are correct, are there any differences?

It's just the difference between "learn" and "study". You can learn something without studying it. For example, if someone teaches you it all orally outside of any formal instruction setting, I'm not sure I would call that étudier. Also, appendre can mean "teach" with an indirect object. – Luke Sawczak Apr 21 '17 at 19:44

The immortels in the Académie Française do not cease to étudier the French language while they only used to apprendre it when they were kids.

• There must be some low level apprentissage still going on even with the immortels, though the core of their knowledge is indeed well established. :p – ﺪﺪﺪ Apr 27 '17 at 12:02

They could both be correct but apprendre le français is learning French and étudier le français is studying French. In this sentence the meaning of studying is more in an academic way.

Both are quite technically right. But 'apprendre' is more common, 'j'etudie l'allemand' has a stuck-up whiff about it..

I agree. Use "apprendre", if you use "etudier" it'll sound like a bad translation from "study". – Teleporting Goat Apr 24 '17 at 13:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.