Frustrated with parking violations, I said jokingly:

Franchement, qu’est ce qu’ils n’ont pas compris dans « défense de stationner » ?! Je n’en peux vraiment plus, de ces conducteurs qui font fi de toutes les règles ! Si j'étais à même de coller des contraventions, ça rigolerait pas, moi je te le dis !

What I meant by this phrasing was that I would take a really tough stance and crack down hard on parking violations – so much so that there would be hell to pay for such violators!

I usually associate this expression with a positive context where you find yourself impressed by something, so I'm not sure if you can use it as a harsh word, albeit jokingly.

I think what strikes me most here is not seeing “ça rigole pas” used angrily, but rather seeing it used in the conditional. I realize that you're stating a present/future “Contrary-to-fact condition” (which usually would require the conditional w/a “si” clause in the imperfect, just as you did), but maybe if you expressed the possibility w/more certainty (with your “si” clause [or a less formal one] in the present), you could use the “futur proche” (which, to me, seems a bit more natural for this angry usage): “Si [jamais] chuis élu comme Tsar des PVs, ça va pas rigoler, moi je te le dis!”
    – Papa Poule
    May 6, 2017 at 18:06

1 Answer 1

Ça rigolerait pas properly translates what you want to express. Parking enforcement would be taken seriously so violators would feel the pain.

That said, while a native French could have been the author of these sentences, note that different levels of languages are mixed in them:

Franchement, qu'est ce qu'ils n'ont pas compris… : standard spoken French

qui font fi de toutes les règles : formal/literary

Si j'étais à même… : formal/literary too

coller des contraventions : casual

ça rigolerait pas, moi je te le dis ! : colloquial

• Merci. Yes, mixed register, that is what I need to keep working on! The way you have laid out their varying registers, I almost feel like a master of mixed register, haha... May 5, 2017 at 23:44
    @Alone-zee To help you, here's a version in an informal register: « Putain, qu’est c'qu’y-z-ont pas compris dans « défense de stationner » ?! J’en peux vraiment plus, d'ces conducteurs qui se foutent de toutes les règles ! Si c'était moi qui collait les contraventions, ça rigolerait pas, moi j'te l'dis ! » May 6, 2017 at 18:45
  • @Gilles Merci. It's not always easy to keep the register consistent in spontaneous speech like this, as I usually use the first expression that instinctively springs to mind. May 7, 2017 at 10:14
    And here is a moderately still informal version: Franchement, qu’est ce qu’ils n’ont pas compris dans « défense de stationner » ?! J’en peux vraiment plus d'ces conducteurs qui s'fichent d'toutes les règles ! Si j'avais le droit de coller des contraventions, ça rigolerait pas, moi j'te l'dis !
    – jlliagre
    May 7, 2017 at 10:37

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.